So after reading this post http://toolmonger.com/2012/03/28/hungarian-shelves-ftw-or-why-tm-readers-rock/ about bookshelves, I was naive enough to give it a try. This is my brief overview of how in went for me, in pictures. I’ll be happy if it saves a few people a few hours or headache or two. I am not apologizing for the phone pictures.
Notes of value follow each picture.
Here’s finished shelf. The stain has almost dried, can still smell it. I blink, its half way full already!
Here is the walkthru in approximate order
First, we approximately mark the notches both on the 2x4s and on the horizontal pieces of wood.
To get here, I used a circular saw, two cuts, and a flat-head screwdriver as my chisel.
Before long, I ended up with notches, a lot of them.
My wife suggested I take a few dangerous corners out to save a few scrapes and bruises. Good idea!
Pre-drilling the verticals in preparation of the wall studs.
And filling them notches hoping angles are good enough. Better tools would ensure better precision! No t as much fun thou.
This is the last time this wall looked so neat. So sad.
And this is point of no return. We are doing this. Worth sharing that neither the verticals nor the wall studs are straight!
Here, you can see me test fitting the horizontal pieces for measuring the notches to cut.
This is proof there is not a straight line in the whole project.
Seven years old is FUN. I wish I was seven.
One coat of stain did this. Pretty.
But then I had to do the rest. Wife helped lots. Goodness this smells strong. Had to leave in garage overnight waiting for the fumes to evaporate a bit.
And this is the finished shelf, shim and all. I had to use shims in about half of the connections to ensure 90 degree angles for all shelves.
That’s it’ enjoy.